That is a case research from Conferences + Conventions Calgary. Extra details about Event Supervisor Weblog’s case research.
Be a part of over 60,000 subscribers that use EventMB to remain on prime of How to’s, Developments & Event Know-how.
Go Media Canada embodies one of the best of Canada via rotating places throughout the nation. Prior to now, the occasion has struggled with the right combination of convention programming and attendee exploration. With the 2018 occasion held in Calgary, the main target was on capturing the moments and offering attendees with a number of pleasant methods to get to know the actual Calgary.
- 1 The Event
- 2 Fast Information Concerning the Event
- 3 About Calgary:
- 4 The Aims
- 5 The Challenges
- 6 How Have been the Aims Achieved?
- 7 The Outcomes
- 8 Inspiration to Change Your Event
- 9 Plan for any climate.
- 10 Look to the group for help.
- 11 Work together with your venue and resorts early.
- 12 IN CONCLUSION
Go Media Canada focuses on experiencing the most effective of Canada. It embodies the guts and soul of spectacular Canadian storytelling. Hosted by a totally different Canadian vacation spot annually, the annual occasion connects prime worldwide and home media with Canadian tourism organizations by way of one-to-one conferences, networking occasions, and pre- and post-show excursions. 300 delegates attend from the USA and worldwide places like Mexico, UK, Germany, China, Japan, Asia, India, and others.
Fast Information Concerning the Event
- keyboard_arrow_right The occasion was held September 30 to October four, 2018.
- keyboard_arrow_right It included farm excursions in addition to native excursions of Calgary.
- keyboard_arrow_right Go Media Canada is run by Vacation spot Canada and produced in partnership with native host committees. The host committees for the 2018 occasion have been Tourism Calgary and Journey Alberta.
- keyboard_arrow_right The occasion attracted 300 delegates from around the globe.
- keyboard_arrow_right 14,000+ visitor rooms and 1.2 million sq. ft of assembly area
- keyboard_arrow_right Two giant assembly venues, BMO Centre at Stampede Park and Calgary TELUS Conference Centre
- keyboard_arrow_right A community of 85+ native business leaders to attach conferences to Calgary’s mental capital
- keyboard_arrow_right The Calgary Worldwide Airport is twenty minutes from downtown Calgary, offering the world with tons of of every day continuous flights to the US and Europe
- keyboard_arrow_right The conference neighborhood provides eating places, leisure, lodging, buying, and theater inside strolling distance
- keyboard_arrow_right 4th most livable metropolis on the earth –The Economist, 2018
- keyboard_arrow_right Within the prime 10 of probably the most walkable cities in Canada
There have been three aims for the Go Media Canada Event in Calgary:
- keyboard_arrow_right Change attendees’ imaginative and prescient of the town as extra than simply the situation of the Calgary Stampede.
- keyboard_arrow_right Permit attendees to expertise the true taste of the town.
- keyboard_arrow_right Create photo-worthy alternatives on a common foundation to assist inform Calgary’s story.
With the Calgary Go Media Canada Event, the challenges have been to provide attendees extra time to benefit from the locale outdoors of periods and supply an expertise they might keep in mind. Previous attendees had listed exploration as essential to them.
The secondary problem of making experiences for attendees that may assist them see Calgary as extra than simply a stampede city was two-pronged. It required overcoming a long-held location stereotype and giving attendees trigger to seize the city on their digital camera and submit their pictures in addition to share their experiences.
As many occasion planners perceive, the most important points are often those you’ve gotten little management over. The ultimate problem to beat was a shock from an unseasonal snowstorm in the course of the occasion. On the night time of the dine round, Calgary skilled a large unseasonal blizzard, which blanketed the town in snow! This simply might have hindered or canceled the dine round however not in Calgary.
How Have been the Aims Achieved?
The planning committee needed to create a memorable expertise that might stand out for
attendees. They started by creating a planning subcommittee referred to as the “Magic Committee.” The aim of the committee, just like the identify prompt, was to create magic moments and construct on Calgary’s city drivers of music, artwork, tradition, historical past, and culinary.
The objective was to assemble an environment and construct the status of Calgary because the Final Host Metropolis and create indelible experiences for the viewers.
Examples of those experiences included:
Airport Arrivals Lounge
A spot the place teams arriving might meet-up, get vacation spot/transportation ideas from native volunteers, seize a locally-made snack, and take heed to reside music (organized by the Calgary People Music Pageant).
Calgary’s Iconic White Hat Greeters
This group met every arriving group of attendees at their gate to welcome them to Calgary and supply instructions and knowledge.
Local Maker’s Market
The host vacation spot sometimes presents attendees of the tourism media convention, however Calgary needed to raise the expertise. As an alternative of a primary room-drop with a swag bag, they created occasion reminiscences. Calgary launched an revolutionary new strategy to gifting. The Local Maker’s Market, Market Collective, collaborated with the Calgary host committee to host a mini-market within the convention lobby. This included 10 native makers who advised the tales behind their merchandise and the native options/tie-ins. Attendees perused the mini-market, met the makers and chosen their favourite merchandise to take residence as a souvenir.
To additional elevate the mini-market, Calgary additionally featured a native espresso roaster who served their native mix, as an alternative of the “typical drip conference coffee” that attendees are accustomed to. Throughout breaks, Made by Marcus (a native ice cream hotspot) handed out ice cream bars.
Plus, the Kananaskis Nordic spa created a rest lounge the place attendees might take a break and loosen up.
By means of the efforts of 90 Mavericks and 80 native companies, these native partnerships made a massive impression and obtained the group concerned. With their assist, the native host committee created genuine, memorable native experiences for the attendees.
Elevated Registration (actually!)
As an alternative of internet hosting the convention registration on the conference middle or host resorts as is usually executed at most conferences, the convention registration was held on the majestic Calgary Tower! The Calgary Stampede reworked the bottom of the tower in a Canadiana theme with meals and leisure for these ready in line.
On the prime of the tower, attendees might take pleasure in their first introduction to the town with a 360-degree view of the skyline and surrounding mountains/foothills. Serenading them on the prime of the tower have been native musicians, introduced out by the People Music Pageant. Registrants have been additionally capable of take pleasure in native Calgary treats and snacks.
Mock Dine Round
The host committee engaged 15 native eating places unfold over 4 inner-city communities. Every restaurant ready a particular menu for the group. On the convention info desk, there was a culinary concierge, who might take reservations and make group bookings on the restaurant of selection. This manner individuals might guide dinners with their friends and colleagues or simply guide enterprise conferences at native hotspots.
Conferences + Conventions Calgary planners labored to enhance attendee expertise and made it their main focus. Whereas this aim was carried out in each space of the occasion, listed here are a few examples the place they put attendee expertise front-and-center for 2018:
- keyboard_arrow_right As an alternative of generic swag for all attendees, they opened a Local Marker’s Market the place friends might converse with the crafters, hear their tales, and choose their favourite present.
- keyboard_arrow_right They used native meals and snacks all through the occasion and through breaks.
- keyboard_arrow_right They reworked the registration by making the entire expertise extra picturesque.
- keyboard_arrow_right They created a eating expertise that allowed attendees to pick their favourite sort of eating places and dine with who they needed.
- keyboard_arrow_right Welcome occasions turned about an expertise (just like the airport lounge) and never nearly handing out brochures.
ELEVATED REGISTRATION RESULTS
Sometimes this occasions sees 20-30 registrants on the pre-conference day and the remaining (270-280) registrations on day one. This will trigger a true logjam and frustration. With the brand new tackle registration, 200 of the 300 attendees got here to the tower on the pre-day, lessening the registration burden on day one of many convention.
TRANSPORTATION FOR THE DINE AROUND
After the sudden snow, the native workforce and transportation companions (Nationwide) rallied and labored shortly on their toes to offer transportation options to get all the attendees who booked reservations the place they wanted to be.
The shock bonus?
Calgary was reworked into a winter wonderland, which was an thrilling improvement for worldwide attendees who don’t get to expertise snow.
Inspiration to Change Your Event
The highest takeaways for this occasion revolve round being ready for the sudden and counting on teams you could not have considered for help.
Plan for any climate.
Sure, seek the advice of the typical temperature charts and analysis what the climate is often like at the moment of yr however create contingency plans based mostly on the chances. Perhaps you’re internet hosting an occasion in a city that has 360 days of sunshine. It’s nonetheless potential you’ll be there on the 5 days that aren’t. Regardless of the season, know that snow or the wet season can all the time come early! Having a backup plan offers you peace of thoughts and guarantee attendee expertise doesn’t endure due to an inconsistent Mom Nature.
Look to the group for help.
Chances are you’ll be stunned what number of native residents, companies, and organizations will need to collaborate with you and be a a part of the planning or actions. This helps you with planning but in addition improves the attendee expertise by way of extra strong and genuine choices which might be true to the native tradition. It advantages everybody to showcase the individuals who make up a metropolis – and resulted in an superb occasion that the area people was proud to host and the worldwide attendees have been comfortable to be a a part of.
Work together with your venue and resorts early.
Be deliberate in your communication of objectives to get these companions on board. The Calgary TELUS Conference Centre and collaborating motels shared the occasion planner’s imaginative and prescient and want to work with Go Media Canada. Due to this, they have been capable of remove a few of the obstacles that may exist when eager to function native meals and beverage that could be outdoors of a most popular suppliers listing. All the time ask. It might be clearly said that there are specific protocols that have to be adopted however when you have a imaginative and prescient, ask your venues or vendor to help it. You could be stunned simply how prepared they’re to take action.
Creating an expertise custom-made to your host metropolis and utilizing native organizations to taste your choices ensures your occasion might be totally different from all others. It provides attendees a cause to make the journey and turns into an straightforward success in immediately’s visible social media-driven world.